Full disclosure: I had never heard of the Liebster Award until I got nominated, but I couldn’t be more excited! Thank you to Alex from Alex and Wanderlust for the nomination and also to Elisabeth from Sidetracked who nominated me, as well! Be sure to check out their adventures and awesome Instagram feeds, too! [alexandwanderlust // sidetrackedblog]
For those of you like me who don’t know too much about the Liebster Award, it’s an award given to bloggers by other bloggers to get to know each other and show some love for other blogs out there – at least according to my research. It’s all about networking, right?
Basically, I’ll answer a few questions about my myself plus some random facts, nominate other up and coming blogs, and send them some new questions to answer about themselves.
questions from alex and Wanderlust
What’s the funniest thing that’s happened to you on a trip?
- My brother and cousin came to visit during our Spring Break from Teaching English in Spain. We started our Eurotrip off in Dublin and obviously had to get some Irish beer at the infamous Temple Bar. The four of us were sitting at a barrel table right by the entrance just listening to the live music and drinking Guinness. This woman entered and started coming towards our table. All of a sudden she lunged forward and stole my brother’s beer and ran off. My brother attempted to get it back, but meanwhile the bartender saw what was going on and chased the woman down. When he got back he said, “I love a good chase,” poured my brother a new beer, and we carried on drinking the Irish way.
What are your top five bucket list destinations?
- I can only pick five? As of right now, I’d probably have to say Ecuador/Galápagos, Peru, Nicaragua, Thailand, and the Maldives.
Which city that you have already traveled to would you like to return to?
- Sevilla & Santorini – these questions are hard! Sevilla because I studied there and taught there and would love to go back and visit my friends and students, and Santorini because those views just can’t be beat.
What is your best piece of advice to a first time traveler?
- Get lost, and ask the locals for directions. You never know what you’ll stumble upon just wandering around and most places you go people are more than happy to help. Plus, interacting with the locals is a great way to get to know a place.
When did you fall in love with traveling?
- I was a late bloomer, not until my junior year of college when I studied abroad in Spain.
What is your least favorite place that you have visited?
- I don’t think I’ve been there yet.
- This. I’m a believer that breakfast is the best meal of the day, and Vudu Café in Queenstown is doing breakfast right. This breakfast quesadilla had feta, onions, cucumber, refried beans, rocket, sweet chilli sauce, poached eggs, and so much more. It was literally exploding with flavors – I may or may not have gone to the same café a few times in one trip…
What is your best blogging tip?
- Take it a day at a time. There is a lot more that goes into blogging than I thought, and between writing posts, trying to guest blog, promote via social media, improve SEO, update plugins, and all that good stuff, it can be overwhelming. So take it one day at a time, and like traveling, appreciate the little victories – like a few more followers on Instagram!
Why did you start a travel blog?
- Originally, to write down my memories and keep my mom up to date on my adventures. But, after studying abroad, teaching English in Spain, and working in New Zealand, I realized I had some pretty great international adventures and wanted to inspire others to travel, too – and give them some tips along the way. I only wish I had started sooner!
What is the biggest goal for your travel blog?
- To connect with people who have a similar passion for traveling and inspire others to get out and broaden their horizons! I would love to make a career out of helping others to study/work/travel abroad and, of course, one that allows me to continue to travel, as well.
Questions from Sidetracked:
If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
- I like to move around so it’s hard to imagine living in one place forever, but I was obsessed with Sydney, Australia and Queenstown, New Zealand. Also, Madison, Wisconsin is home so I’ll always love it 🙂
What’s the best thing you’ve experienced while traveling?
- When we were kayaking in Milford Sound, pods of dolphins came to play with us for a while. They came right up to our kayaks, and being surrounded by so many wild dolphins was incredible.
What’s the worst thing you’ve experienced while traveling?
- One of my friends jumped off a cliff in San Sebastián and broke her arm so we had to spend some quality time in a Spanish hospital.
Which place should every traveler visit at least once in their lifetime?
- New Zealand. I’m a little bias because I just spent 4 months there, but it is the most beautiful place. Everywhere you go has the most insane views I’ve ever seen.
Where do you call home?
- I’ve definitely moved around a bit. I lived in Spain and New Zealand for a while, but Wisconsin will always be home.
If you could watch any movie during a flight what would it be?
- One of the best parts about those long international flights are the individual screens and new release movies, so I always like to watch the latest flicks. But, if I had to pick one, probably Bridesmaids. It just never gets old, and I love a funny chick flick.
What’s the first place you ever traveled to?
- I want to say Orlando, Florida for Disney World, of course 🙂
Why did you start blogging?
- See above!
Why do you travel?
- Because there are so many amazing places out there I have to see! My first “big” destination was Spain because I wanted to perfect my Spanish, but I just love exploring and trying new things – I think because I was pretty shy growing up I like to push myself out of my comfort zone. And, Wisconsin is cold so I have to escape the winters.
What’s your next travel destination?
- Good question. I just got back from New Zealand, so I need to build the bank account back up a bit, but I’m thinking some US cities – I’m dying to visit New Orleans, New York, and Las Vegas.
10 Random Facts About me
- I think bloody marys should be their own food group.
- I’m fluent in Spanish.
- My favorite place in the world is still Northern Wisconsin.
- I have a slight obsession with bikinis.
- My dog Sasha is from Russia. Seriously.
- I spent a Eurotrip in a Spanish hospital after my friend broke her arm jumping off a cliff.
- I also spent some of Spring Break in a PCB hospital after a different friend broke her toe.
- My favorite travel souvenirs are photos & wine.
- My full name is Bryna, but nobody can pronounce it right – so I go with Bryn.
- I usually snooze for about 30 minutes in the morning.
- The Feria in Sevilla is my favorite festival, and I can sort of dance Sevillanas.
- Tamara from Jet Setting Brunette
- Connors Family from Four Around the World
- Tanja from Painting My Path
- Ailish from Ailish in Wonderland
- Joe from Get Lost Joe Wood
- Katie from Wanderer’s Purpose
- Lolo from California Globetrotter
- Alesha from Travel and Trouvaille
- Janis from The Runaway Dude
- Anna from The Perfumed Backpack
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
- Are you a planner or a fly by the seat of your pants kind of traveler?
- Who’s your favorite person to travel with & why?
- What do you think is the best part of travel blogging? The worst?
- What’s your favorite travel song (or song that takes you right back to a place you’ve been)?
- What’s your dream job?
- What are a few of your favorite things?
- What are your favorite travel souvenirs – do you have a specific thing you try to get from each place you visit?
- Last picture you took?
- Finish this sentence: To travel is to……
Here are the rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog website.
- Answer their 10 questions and link your answers back to their blog website.
- Make up 10 of your own questions to ask your 10 nominees and have them link back their answers to your blog website.
- List 10 random things about yourself. Nominate 10 blogs with 0 to 1000 followers.
- Tweet the nominees informing them about their award!